Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rainbow Brite Remake

Some have dubbed it Rainbow Brite, some christened it the Gay Pride dress; whatever you wanna call it- I love this vintage number. I'm guessing early 70s? Anyway, it just makes me happy! I picked it up in Eugene, OR on a road trip with my sister in 2005. I wore it plenty in its original form, especially when I worked retail in NYC. (Loved it with boots and a sweater!) However, what ever kind of poly blend it's made out of does not breath and is HOT. Factor in the less than opaque white base (which calls for an under layer) with sweltering Austin temperatures, and you have a recipe for sweat city. So, sadly it went unworn for quite a few years, until: I decided it was time to give it an easy breezy make over.


I saved the part of the skirt that got the axe and wear it as a sash, but have hard belted it too for a different look.




The fabric was pretty tough to work with, and took my novice self several rounds of undo and redo. Frustratingly slippery! I couldn't quite to get the sleeves right so I cinched and wrapped with ribbon pieces as a cover up/solution. It's far from perfect if inspected up close, but to me it's wearable! The heat is now tolerable, and I actually think it's much more fitting of its playful and flirty rainbow stripes this way.


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your persistance! Look at the final product. I think sleeveless is better anyway. There are more layering options. The dress looks Fab! Did you add a lining instead of having to wear a slip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately no- I admit I'm scared to death of lining something! (But I have found an almost weightless slip that is just perfect for it.)

      Delete