Monday, September 23, 2013

Dyeable: Grey is the New White

I think I'm a bit hard on clothing. I mean, I don't just wear clothes, I tend to wear them out. I get holes, spots, runs, stretched out, misshapen, stain riddled- you name it. As lately in life, shopping for new isn't always in the budget, I have a tough time tossing clothes out, especially pieces I love, even once they are in a worn out way.

Here is such an example. A lovely, white, gauzy blouse that had sadly come to be... well, embarrassingly less than white. Hang in there, gauzy, maybe I can save you!


I had never given dying much consideration before this attempt. I'm a renter and have yet to own a washing machine to fill with colorful dye baths as I so desire, and truthfully (other than tie-dying summer camp style) I never considered there might be another way. Thanks to all the bloggers and pinners that have come before me,  I have learned otherwise. Upon the purchase of a large, $2 pot from a thrift store, and a bottle of liquid dye, my stovetop and I were in business.


I chose to go grey because I love pretty much anything grey, but honestly, I also thought it was a safe bet for a first time dyer. Plus, this blouse has silver stitching details, and I wasn't sure what was going to happen to that in the process, but voila!


I couldn't be happier with the result! It hides its ugly stains perfectly and looks fresh and new again. And I love that the stitching resisted the dye- total happy accident! I wear it all the time- yep that's it in my "about" pic.


Here are some dying pointers I plan to keep in mind for future dye projects:
  • Directions are on the package, read them. Again. They usually know what they're talking about- and different brands do seem to handle differently.
  • Cottons and most natural fibers should accept the dye well, other fabrics and blends are a gamble/ may require a particular type of dye. Always consider the details too!
  • A dye bath needs plenty of room for the garment to swim around freely. My 8 quart pot fits 1 top well and uses approximately half a bottle of dye. (I tried to do 3 items in one pot once since- MISTAKE! They all came out blotchy.)
  • Salt can be added to deepen the color. (Approximately 1 Cup)
  • Gentle laundry detergent can help evenly distribute color. (Approximately 1 Tbsp)
  • Launder separately for the first few post-dye washes to make sure no bleeding occurs.
The advice I would offer to anyone experimenting with dying is just that; consider it an experiment! Start with a piece that won't be a sad loss if the result is less than perfection. It'll be such a pleasant surprise if it is!

2 comments:

  1. Your blouse turned out quite well. Certainly, you deserve a pat on the back for your bravery and achievement. I appreciate your tips for stove top fabric dying. I would like to link your post on mine. Please let me know asap. My date for posting is 10-29-2013; I'd like to know by publishing time is possible.
    Another tip is to "heat set" the new dye job. Put into the drier on high until dry. As far as fabrics other than 100% cotton, you can find specialized dying products in a "higher end" art store. Here in Portland there is Dick Blick's Artist Supply. You can also seek products online. I will be posting this on my own blog ... http://raggz2baggz.com (to be posted on Tuesday 10-29-2013 PM).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cathy, I'd be honored! Thanks for your tip on heat setting- I'll give it a try next time!

      Delete