Saturday, November 23, 2013

Napkin Throw Pillow Case

napkin to pillow upcycleAnyone who sews is probably thinking, "Pillow case? Big whoop." And you're right. It's one of the simplest, most novice homemaker items to create. But there is no denying, throw pillows are a wonderfully manageable and affordable way to refresh home decor. This project cost me approximately $4!



I bought these two napkins on clearance at World Market. The block print and colors are so me; I had to have the fabric in my home. I didn't know right away how they'd be used, but I knew they'd be used somehow...



For the ulterior use of the beloved napkin find, and also because I sewed a zipper enclosure, I'm actually super proud of this pillow case- elementary or not.




Maybe you don't understand:
I. Vanessa. Successfully. Sewed. a ZIPPER!


throw pillow case with zipper
Zippers are so intimidating! But I can happily report that it was relatively painless, following a very clear video tutorial that brakes it down step by step. Seriously, it feels like I graduated or something!
I'd made some envelope-style covers previously for these two old, ugly greens, but honestly they were a little sloppy, and looked as though hiding something. Which they were. Time to rip that ugly green right off, once and for all. (Sorry J!) 
What I discovered inside was completely bare polyester stuffing, so I decided to sew a nice little muslin case around. Now the pillow form can just as easily be washed as any cover. Essential for old dingy pillows especially!
With it's pretty new, zippered case, the pillow looks much more polished than the way I'd covered before. And I quite like the way she fits in with her Anthro sisters.
The only question now is... what will I use for the other one?







No comments:

Post a Comment