Sunday, January 19, 2014

Wool Sweater to Vest (+ Boot Cuffs!)

Why, you ask, would I choose to do this to a pretty great sweater? Well...

Ulterior Alterations Wool Sweater to Vest Refashion

Elbow patches were put on a couple of years ago, for self-explanatory reasons; similar, but not the same as a more recent Elbow Patch Fix. This is one of my OG refashions, although I guess really it's more of a mend then a refashion... It took me about a hundred hours to do by hand, but the hole got covered, and I thought it turned out nicely. I was very proud. Then, my husband tried it on. Turns out, the patches were not quite in the right spot for his elbows. Dang. He was a good sport and wore it anyway, but lo and be-holed, a new sucker ripped right through where his elbow actually hit. When I then managed to shrink it via laundry, he couldn't really wear it anymore, and it no longer seemed worth re-patching. Dang. Poor sweater, right?

Ulterior Alterations Wool Sweater to Vest Refashion BeforeUlterior Alterations Wool Sweater to Vest Refashion Before Detail

By simply cutting off the shrunken, non-hole-covering-patched arms, hemming with a zig-zag stitch around the openings, a perfectly wearable vest is born! It's his, but I wonder which of us will wear it more?

Ulterior Alterations Wool Sweater to Vest Refashion for HimUlterior Alterations Wool Sweater to Vest Refashion on Her

Added bonus: the salvaged cuffs from the sleeves were perfect for a pair of boot cuffs! For a super fun and femme embellishment detail, I tacked on a little flower appliqué leftover from a Lace Trim Shorts project I did a while back. I heart them.

Ulterior Alterations Wool Sweater Refashion to Boot CuffsUlterior Alterations Wool Sweater Refashion to Boot Cuffs on







8 comments:

  1. I vote you should wear it more with your darling boot cuffs...good thinking on making the sweater usable.
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy, I appreciate your comment as well as your vote!

      Delete
  2. I'ts a great re-fashion, I really love your vest (great for woman!) and cuffs (and hubby is awesome too LOL)
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I kinda like him. ;) Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  3. Nice job! I have a couple of sweater vests and I love using them in the spring and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius, and I love the way you used the extra bits for the boot cuffs. Waste not want not! I heart them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the ulterior part of this alteration was yes about not wasting, but also a bit more selfishly motivated: one for him, one for me! :) Thanks for checking it out, Julia, and for your comment! Much appreciated!

      Delete