Saturday, January 4, 2014

Funny Fuzzy Felty Footsies

Martha, Martha, Martha. She's knows how to do it all... Or a lot, and the thousands of crafty peeps that work for her know how to do the rest. Regardless, the template for this slipper craft is from Martha Stewart, but I came across the idea first on a post from A Handmade Life, who upcycles felted wool sweaters to make a couple different kinds of slippers. Love!

Ulterior Alterations Upcycled Sweater Slippers

This slipper version is super simple to make, and the charmingly home-spun look of the finished product makes me smile. The biggest challenge of this project was getting the template the right size and onto one sheet of paper. Did not work on my little home hp, but my hubs was able to do in a jiff on his copier at work on legal sized paper. The first pair I dallied on over the course of a few days, but when I sat down to do the second in a more focused manner, it took me 2-ish hours to complete. Not bad.

Ulterior Alterations Upcycled Sweater Slippers

I snagged this awesome pair of thrifted leather pants with intention of multiple refashion uses, and the suede side works perfectly for non-skid soles. (Doesn't this outfit look very Theo Huxtable!?!)

Ulterior Alterations Upcycled Sweater Slippers with leather solesUlterior Alterations Upcycled Theo Sweater Slippers

The Martha version is the same material all over (which would be great because it could be thrown in the washer), but I thought this option would be more sturdy and less slippy on hard floors.

Ulterior Alterations Upcycled Sweater SlippersUlterior Alterations Upcycled Sweater Slippers

I had a great time making these and think they made great gifts. Hopefully, the gentlemen I gifted them to thought so too! I didn't snap a pic of my b-n-law, but d.o.d. looks so cute in his! Love you dad!!!

Ulterior Alterations Upcycled Sweater Slippers d.o.d.
Dear Old Dad



9 comments:

  1. Interesting!
    Mr P. lately asked me to sew him some slippers... this could be a great start point!
    But... are they left and right made equal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. Do mine not look equal? ;) Or do you need unequal? ...If you need left and right to be different, it would be easy enough to adjust the template. Especially if you have your wearer present- you could absolutely personally customize!

      Delete
    2. They look equal, but I was thinking maybe a left and a right would be better... but I've never made shoes so I'll have to try some mock up!!!
      I absolutely have to sew them for him, he always says I sew only for me and my daughter...
      MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

      Delete
    3. I misunderstood what you meant by equal! They are slightly left and right curved for each foot. But again you could create it more obviously... Yes, why is it the men in our lives rarely get to deep the crafty benefits?!? I'm working on that too! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely idea, but might be a bit too warm for where I live. Might change them into toe-revealing slippers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you feel my envy, Agy? I was thinking to doubling the sole to providing further protection from the cold and you talk about toe-revealing slippers....
    Hugs from the cold!!!
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now in Texas, we need them one day, then don't the next, then do the next...

      Delete