Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sweater to Cardigan Remake

I. Love. Cardigans. To me they are a quintessential layering piece, adding depth, texture, personality, and of course warmth to any outfit. They can be any shape, size, or style, but are always easily tossed on and off as your day and comfort changes. Sometimes the focal piece, sometimes insulating between shirt and jacket, sometimes dressing up, sometimes playing down- cardigans: I think you're pretty great.

Looking for comfy and cozy, I found the first part of this equation in my husband's side of the closet. The collar was kind of jacked up and I didn't think I could mend it properly, so like a good partner, I decided to reuse it for myself instead. ;) It can be simple enough to turn a pullover sweater into a cardigan by slicing it open, but I wanted to take it a step further...

The second part is another sweater. This one is a find from the Goodwill "Bins" (aka outlet store/pay by-the-pound) which cost me about a quarter! It's super soft, has a color palate that is very me, and stripes are a relatively classic pattern choice, so I chose to see its potential...


cardigan refashion

One + One = One

I love the 50s-esque vibe it conjures, and the pockets out of those short dolman sleeves might be my favorite part! I see many more refashioned and up-cycled cardigans in my future. But for now, I'll enjoy the fruits of this labor.

refashioned corduroy pants

A beautiful fall day in Austin in my current favorite fall remake pieces: cardigan, and green cords.

9 comments:

  1. A fabulous refashion!!! The striped band is just perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really nice and useful!
    I love the pockets, not perfectly vertically aligned!
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene! I'm definitely in love with pockets- of many kinds!

      Delete
  3. Very clever and attractive. Kudos to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to do this b/c I LOVE cardigan's too. I just need to find the right shirt/sweater to cut! :) You did a FANTASTIC job with this. I like the idea of mix and matching! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for cardigans! I think I'm in danger of cutting up every sweater I own. ;) Would love to see what you turn out!

      Delete
  5. We are the best manufacturer of cardigan Sweatshirts in Pakistan.We provide our services all around the world.

    ReplyDelete