Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sequin Refashion

Confession: the "before" of this project, is neither a hand-me-down, nor is it a rockin, thrift store find; it is from my very own closet. SGHS prom, circa 1995. Not as embarrassing as a couple of my other evening wear selections from that era, but embarrassing enough... I kind of wish I had a photo to share from back in the day, but I never got any copies from my date, because we stopped speaking the next day. My only regret about that is not getting those darn pics!

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion before frontUlterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion before back

With this awesome little number, I wanted to create something a bit less, Vegas party-girl, and a bit more classic/classy sophisticate; something appropriate for nearly twenty years later, to wear to a friend's wedding. As mentioned in my previous post, I've been collecting both inspirational and aspirational ideas for this sparkly revamp on a SequInspiration Pin board.

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion dress to skirt
The deconstruction:

Inside-out, I marked the front, waist line and cut line with chalk. (The back was easier as I just popped those straps off with a seam ripper, no sweat.) Carefully, I de-sequined in between the lines. Once that arduous process was complete, I sliced off the top.

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion cut to skirt
The reconstruction:

I added a band of elastic inside the waist for strength with a give, then hemmed and folded down the flap of sequin-free material over that, hand tacking it all in place. The beast of this process was individually hand-sewing sequins in place that were bent, broken, scratched, or missing. I also needed a full row for the new top of the waist line. Now complete, but not quite finished.

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion fix
The addition:

Axed as my original idea for a blouse, I cut apart another old, unwearable dress that I had dyed navy to match.

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion peach dress for trimUlterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion peach dyed navy dress for trim

These strips became a dainty, sheer, ruffle trim. I saw a similar detail on an image that I just could not get out of my head! Had to have it. Not only does this create additional length, but it adds an extra dimension of personality that I adore. 

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion back and bottom detail

I love the way it turned out, and proudly wore it to what turned out to be an absolutely beautiful wedding. 

Ulterior Alterations: Sequin Refashion Before and After

Paired with a simple navy blouse, and nude pumps, I achieved the look I was going for- and happily accepted multiple compliments on my new skirt throughout a wonderful evening!

Ulterior Alterations: Completed Sequin Refashion



5 comments:

  1. Love it as a skirt!
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great refashion. It definitely looks better as a skirt! :-)
    www.greenissuessingapore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still so impressed by this. Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete