Monday, March 10, 2014

Toddler Vest

You know when you start a project thinking, "This will be an easy, simple, quick project", and a couple of months pass and it's still not finished...

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest Fabric

This scrap fabric came from the clearance bin at the fabric store. I wasn't intentionally looking for fabric (it was supposed to a quick in-and-out trip), but this rocketship-printed fleece was so precious, I couldn't not buy it. So I did; although I had no idea what it would become, I did know who the what would be for.

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest Pattern Original

I have an adorable, nearly 2-year-old niece who I don't get to see often enough as we live 1800 miles apart. We were together for the holidays though, so, using one of her vests, I made a pattern and quickly had three pieces sewn into a basic vest shape.

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest Pattern

That part was easy, however, as often happens with me, I got stuck on the finishing. So this became an experiment and lesson for me on a few things:

1) Fuzzy fleece- this shed like a mutha! There were (and still are) little blue fluffs all over the floor! Plus, and more importantly, this is why I desperately needed to finish it. Trying to fold and hem it under was impossible- it got all stuck in the machine when I tried. 

2) Binding- I have never used binding before, so this was for sure a learning experience! I used the extremely knowledgeable Habby Goddess as my main teacher, though I read and viewed a bunch of tutorials before I started so that I didn't mess it up too badly! The result is imperfect, but I did get a little better as it as I went.

3) Zipper installation- sucks. I was so proud of myself a while back when I successfully put in a zipper on a Pillow Case, but that was a whole different story. Mostly, again, because of the fuzz factor. Maybe I should've bound and then zippered? I ended up using wash away basting thread to hold it in place, then machine sewed. That worked. -ish.

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest Wash Away Basting

You can see it looks a little bumpy and does not lay completely flat, but the wash away thread is super cool!

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest Complete

All challenges and lessons aside, I think it turned out to be pretty dang cute! And it's really dang cute on the really dang cute little girl!

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest + Leftovers LovieUlterior Alterations: Toddler Vest + Legwarmers

I also included a little lovie blankie from leftovers and legwarmers from an old pair of my socks in this "just-because" care package that didn't make it for Christmas and might be out of season come birthday.

Ulterior Alterations: Toddler Vest Thank You

...and maybe I'm just a proud aunt, but this thank you note is the. best. thing. ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment