Saturday, December 28, 2013

Refashioned Sweaters All Around

Christmas gifts for the ladies of my family were: Surprise! Refashioned sweaters! Like I've said before, I love cardigans. So much so, I guess I need to see them on everyone near me. Seriously though, hanging out, kicking back with the fam, traveling, questionable temperatures; these are all excellent calls for cardigan wearing. And if the pieces of the puzzle happen to be from a by-the-pound thrift store, then cardigans fit even the skinniest of gift budgets too.


#1 Grey Cashmere 3/4 sleeve. 

Ulterior Alterations Refashioned Grey Cashmere & Plaid Sweater


Ulterior Alterations Refashioned Grey Cashmere  & Plaid Sweater

This puppy is a beautiful piece on its own. I wish I could have saved it in its original form somehow, but there was a stain in the center. It didn't really show up in the picture though... hmm. One leg of these pjs worked perfectly for the center strips, and I actually used the original pockets to create in-seam pockets. (Only slightly altered.) The finishing touch is a simple hook-and-eye closure option at the neck.


#2 Dark Grey Men's Pullover. 


Ulterior Alterations Refashioned Dark Grey & Plaid Sweater

Ulterior Alterations Refashioned Dark Grey & Plaid Sweater

Not such a beauty on its own as the first- completely ordinary. However, in my opinion, the transformation is completely great! I love the pattern, colors, and length of this plaid, flannel, button-down, and bought it intending to wear as is. Upon home inspection, I discovered some defects that had gone unnoticed in the store, so it needed a new plan. I think it looks so homey and cozy with this slouchy grey number. And it was another great opportunity to practice beloved elbow patch techniques!


#3 Pale Pink Scoop. 

Ulterior Alterations Refashioned Pink & Purple Plaid Sweater

Ulterior Alterations Refashioned Pink & Purple Paid Sweater

Albeit an acrylic blend, this pinkie is so soft! I knew its great shape would be perfect for something on someone at sometime. Mom! She has long, slender arms and this turned out to be a beautiful fit on her. Again, one leg from a pair of thrifted pjs wrapped splendidly around the collar, and their drawstring serves as an optional belt.


Upcycled, Repurposed, Refashioned Sweaters

A BIG thank you to my wonderful sisters and incomparable mother for modeling, and for indulging my crafty gifts so graciously. The truth is, anyone of them could have done this (and probably better!) if they had the time and desire to do so. I'm the late one to the sewing party in the group! Love you all and so glad we got to be together this Christmas- that is the most meaningful gift of all. xo



No comments:

Post a Comment